If you follow me on Snapchat and Instagram stories (@nitro_licious) you already know that I’ve been talking about my hormonal/stress breakouts since late December. Not sure what happened, usually around that time of the month (ahem), I get a couple of pimples but it goes away pretty quick. This time, nope. Seriously caused me to lose some sleep (not used to it!). I seeked out my followers and friends and got some great recommendations to battle my chin and jawline breakouts.
At the moment, it’s getting better but still not fully gone. I’ll be continuing to take recommendations and trying what works best for me. If you have the same issue, check out some of the beauty product recommendations I’ve got. Please note that everyone’s skin is different so results are different as well. Thank you to everyone that pitched in ideas!
Clarisonic Mia FIT
I haven’t used a Clarisonic device in a long time but when this breakout occurred I immediately thought about the brand. This new Mia FIT with the acne brush head is perfect since it’s compact. I’ve heard great things about Clarisonic from my friends, so I’m quite anxious to try it out. Some benefits include: smaller pores, fewer breakouts, and brighter skin. Available at clarisonic.com
- Clarisonic Mia FIT is the most compact of the company’s devices and is great to throw into a gym bag, purse or carry-on for cleansing on the go. (Perfect for me as I travel quite often and go from my apt to my bf’s!)
- It offers two speed settings, one for gentle daily cleansing and one for power cleansing that is great for removing long-wear makeup.
Acne Brush Head:
- With extra-plush bristle gradation, the Clarisonic Acne Brush Head provides ultra- gentle cleansing for acne-prone and sensitive skin.
Radiance Brush Head:
- Specifically engineered with extra fine bristles to deliver a luxurious and highly- effective cleansing.
Sensitive Brush Head:
- Ideal for most skin types, including sensitive and combination skin, the Clarisonic Sensitive Brush Head provides a gentle yet thorough cleanse.
Clinique Acne Solutions Line
I personally love Clinique products and used their products for years so it’s not surprise this made the list of acne battling products to test out!
Acne Solutions™ Cleansing Gel $20
Medicated, oil-free foaming cleansing gel helps clear breakouts and blackheads. Unclogs pores. Helps control oil. Skin feels fresh, soft, calm and smooth. Can also be used on body.
- Developed specifically for adult skins that are experiencing breakouts along with lines and wrinkles. Gentle, hydrating formula helps clear and treat acne without dryness or irritation. Potent anti-aging technology visibly improves lines, wrinkles, texture. See skin that’s clear, smooth and youthful. Oil-free.
- Soothing natural clay-based mask helps heal blemishes, prevent breakouts and keep skin shine-free. Medicated formula goes deep to clean and unclog pores, rid skin of excess oil. In just 5 minutes, skin looks clearer, smoother, less blemish-troubled. Gentle, non-drying formula won’t irritate skin. Oil free.
- Lightweight, medicated formula helps treat existing acne and prevent future breakouts. Creates a barrier against acne-causing agents. Helps control excess oil. Calms, soothes, visibly reduces redness. Lightly hydrates to minimize dryness and peeling.
- Clinique’s medicated troubleshooter with benzoyl peroxide helps clear stubborn, recurring pimples, blemishes. Unclogs pores, controls oil, visibly reduces redness. Note: Daily use of sunscreen is recommended in conjunction with this product.
I was recommended to use the Caudalie Purifying Mask as a spot treatment, apply for about 10 to 15 minutes and then wash off. The Vinosource Collection was highly recommended as the grape seed polyphenols helps to regulate skins natural oil production and provides natural hydration. The Grape Water is the perfect product to hydrate and reduce redness in the skin as it’s 100% natural organic grape seeds. Lastly, the Gentle Buffing Cream that can exfoliate dead skin without irritating the skin.
- Hydrates the skin
- Soothes the most sensitive skin
- Can be used as a toner after cleansing
- The ideal treatment for combination to oily skin prone to breakouts. Highly concentrated in plant ingredients and two types of clay that work to soak up impurities, diminish the appearance of pores and remove dead skin cells. Its ultra-effective non-drying formula is 94% natural. Skin is left clear, pure and matte.
- Gently exfoliates
- Eliminates dead cells and impurities
- This deeply hydrating yet weightless fluid features an instant matifying effect and long-lasting oil-control action. Powered by Caudalie’s organic grape water, this fluid reactivates skin’s hydration mechanisms and replenishes its water reserves, leaving the skin moisturized to perfection. The skin’s balance is restored for a refined, velvety, matte complexion. For combination skin type (my skin type).
My first time trying out this brand and I’m obsessed! A lot of my beauty guru friends recommended these products too! I’m currently using and seeing results!
- Deep cleansing and purifying mask works to lift dirt, oil and remove make-up, in place of your cleanser or a make-up remover and without irritation. Oxygenating cleansing agents gently foam (you will look like a marshmallow) to open pores and pull impurities from the skin to the surface of the foam, washing away clean. Great for oily/acne prone skin.
- This gel formula Acne Treatment Daytime synthesizes salicylic to address blemishes and oily skin. This formula aids healing and repair to help minimize breakouts without overdrying.
- Formerly called “Acne Treatment,” this is a highly effective Acne Treatment Nighttime synthesizes sulfur to address blemishes and oily skin and help minimize breakouts.
ZO Skin Health
Another beauty brand that I was introduced to, I love learning about new products that. They have a specific acne section which means its targeted for that specific concern. Here are a few of the products that I’m looking forward to trying.
- Gently exfoliates and cleanses normal to oily skin.
- A daily leave-on treatment that helps target excess oiliness and help decrease breakouts on the skin.
- A deep-pore, medicated cleansing masque designed for treating oily or acneic skin.
- Ultra-fine magnesium crystals exfoliate dead skin cells for all skin types and increase epidermal turnover for a cleaner, smoother, more even-toned complexion.
First time learning about this brand but heard good things about their acne products. Definitely one to try as well.
- A night treatment that fights, controls, and normalizes acne. Contains the Clarifying Neutralizing Complex with skin conditioners and glycerin that moisturize to soothe skin and restore balance. Salicylic Acid helps keep pores clear and helps fights and prevent blemishes for restored clarity.
- A treatment with an active acne inhibitor to reduce the number and severity of acne blemishes.
- Formulated with Sodium PCA, a natural moisturizing factor found in healthy skin. Ideal after sun, cleansing or as an after shave tonic to give soothing hydration to help calm skin.
Never used this brand before but was recommended to this. Definitely on my list to try!
Contains multiple acne medications to target the major causes of acne observed by dermatologists:
- Step 1 – Target excess oil with the medicated gel cleanser. 2.0% Salicylic acid acne medication fights acne breakouts. Exclusive micro-exfoliating lipo hydroxy acid helps target oily areas on the skin surface to gently provide precise cell-by-cell removal of debris and dirt.
- Step 2 – Target clogged pores with the clarifying solution – glycolic acid penetrates deep to unclog pores and smooth skin texture. 0.5% Salicylic acid acne medication helps to reduce any remaining mild imperfections.
- Step 3 – Target acne with Effaclar Duo dual action acne treatment – 5.5% micronized benzoyl peroxide acne medication penetrates deep into skin to fight all types of acne blemishes. Exclusive micro-exfoliating lipo hydroxy acid provides precise cell-by-cell exfoliation to smooth skin texture.
Light Therapy Acne Mask $39.99
I don’t really get a lot of acne normally but during that once a month time, I tend to get a few here and there or when I’m really stressed out or lack of sleep due to travel etc. But of nowhere, these couple of months I started to get bad chin/jawline acne, hopefully this lil gadget will help!
- Free of chemicals and UV light, this face mask harnesses the power of clinically proven technology to clear acne and allow skin to heal itself. Here is how light therapy works: Blue light targets acne-causing bacteria while red light reduces acne inflammation. This one-step acne treatment covers your face and is easy to use at home. After cleansing, put the mask on. Push the button and let it work for 10 minutes. Includes one mask + 30 session Activator.
- This maximum strength formula fights key signs of even stubborn acne with Benzoyl Peroxide, the #1 dermatologist recommended non-prescription acne medicine. Works to reveal clearer skin with continued use.
- Treats acne even before it emerges. Includes MicroClear, a powerful new technology, clinically proven to boost delivery of acne medicine to unclog congested pores and speed treatment deep to the source. Eliminates oil and shine. Advanced oil-dissolving complex even helps prevent future oil clogs in pores. Refreshes and soothes. Unique formula with skin-soothers, specially selected for acne-prone skin, including green tea and cucumber extracts, actively reduces redness and irritation.
- The gel formula vanishes instantly into skin, allowing acne medicine to absorb deep down, killing acne-causing bacteria, and it keeps working all day to fight both your current breakouts and the acne forming under the surface of your skin. When used daily, this dermatologist-recommended approach will help keep breakouts away, so you can control your stubborn acne, all without over-drying skin.
- Clears breakouts with maximum strength Benzoyl Peroxide acne medicine and reduces two key signs of stubborn acne, size and redness, in just two hours.
- Salicylic acid acne treatment with a light grapefruit scent, this formula moisturizes and clears breakouts. Wont clog pores. Non-greasy formula.
Garnier SkinActive Collection for acne-prone skin
I’m obsessed with Garnier’s micellar water, it’s so good and cleans my skin so good! This lineup was recommended on their website for acne prone skin.
- Oily skin has specific cleansing needs. To look and feel its best, it needs the right clean and specific care. Our soft, breathable towelettes instantly removes pore-clogging dirt, oil and makeup. The formula infused with charcoal draws out impurities like a magnet.
- This all-in-1 bi-phase cleanser is surprisingly powerful yet gentle to skin. It is specially formulated to effectively cleanse, remove even waterproof/longwear makeup, and refresh. Like a magnet, micelles capture and lift away dirt, oil and makeup without harsh rubbing, leaving skin perfectly clean and refreshed without over-drying.
- Our gel exfoliator with microbeads deeply cleanses, tightens pores and smoothes skin. The formula with charcoal draws out blackhead-causing dirt, oil and impurities like a magnet.
- This refreshing formula combines the deeply hydrating power of a mask with the light feel of a lotion. Infused with Lavender Essential Oil, Hyaluronic & Hydroxy Acids, it renews, firms and even reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
Got some tips from the VP of Global Education for ELEMIS, Annet King, on how to battle acne prone skin! I love to hear from the professionals!
- Spritz throughout the day to refresh skin and combat acne causing bacteria.
- Infused with Rosemary, Thyme and Lavender Essential Oils in a Kaolin clay base this balancing and calming mask helps decongest and heal blemished skin. It is an easy, non-settling mask to remove.
- Amazing for scarring and acne marks too. Also, try the ELEMIS White Brightening Dark Spot Corrector to diminish acne spots.
- This highly concentrated precision corrector visibly reduces the appearance of dark spots, age spots and existing imperfections.
Need I say more about Proactiv? Probably one of the most popular and recognizable acne skincare products ever lol! Actually I’ve never really had a problem with acne so I’ve never used it but with all the testimonials and endorsements, I think it’s time to give it a try!
The effective, original 3-step system provides micro-crystal medicine for fast pore penetration and acne-fighting action.
- The Proactiv Skin Clearing Water Gel is designed to help address this concern by boosting hydration while also healing breakouts. The water-infused formula contains hyaluronic acid, allowing skin to retain moisture for a soft and supple complexion. It hydrates with the ultra-moisturizing power of a cream while gliding on the skin like a lightweight, fast absorbing gel. Containing 2% salicylic acid, this medicated serum fights acne and helps soothe dull, blemish-prone and irritated skin.
The Quick Fix Blemish Pen is designed to apply a clear, medicated blemish-fighter directly on emerging and existing blemishes.
Never tried this brand as well, def going to give it a try.
- Powerful fine-line treatment peel exfoliates, resurfaces, clarifies and firms skin in one quick step. Reduces pore size and fine lines and improves skin tone, texture and clarity. Perfect as a treatment for dull, acne-prone skin.
- 1-minute pore-refining mask exfoliates, resurfaces, clarifies and firms skin. Glycolic and salicylic acids work to reduce pore size and improve skin’s texture, while vitamin K helps combat discoloration with its strengthening and soothing properties. Antioxidant bilberry extract, chamomile and lavender are added to promote an even tone and assist in calming skin.
- This potent product clears blemishes, minimizes the appearance of pores, treats oily skin, removes blackheads and reduces inflammation.
- A combination of hydrating Hyaluronic, free radical fighting Vitamin C, and collagen boosting Retinol.
I’ve been using this pillowcase for a little while now and I must say I can’t go back to normal cotton ones. The silk pillowcase keeps my skincare in tact and doesn’t give me creases on my face! Obsessed!
- If you’re a skincare fanatic like myself and spend a lot of time and money on your skincare, then this is a must buy. slip silk pillowcase is said to be anti aging, anti sleep crease, anti bed head because traditional pillowcases don’t slip, so they continuously tug at delicate parts of the face and neck, hence the name.